Password

· Register
· Lost Password
Server Date/Time
23 April 2018 14:59:32 EDT (GMT -4)

Advertisement

Ads by Google

ATV Alliance: Forums

ATV Alliance :: View topic - 2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ATV Alliance Forum Index -> The New England Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddog2020
Lifer
Lifer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: 2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced Reply with quote

NEW – Starting This Year – 2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced

New Signs will be put up on ATV trails for two landowners, CMP (Central Maine Power) and AFM (American Forest Management).

Beginning this year – “No Side-by-Sides wider than 60 inches”

This sign is the result of landowner concerns regarding the wider and bigger machines and some conflicts that have occurred. The licenses with these landowners have always been up to 60 inches wide and Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry (DACF) has advertised this on their maps since 2006. Since the industry keeps building them bigger, the landowners want the signs installed to remind people of the land owner’s wishes.

Regarding the enforcement of greater than 60-inch ATV’s on their property: Once posted properly at the entrances, and publicized through notifications to clubs, via departmental web pages, Facebook pages and press releases., the Maine Warden Service will document any violations as criminal trespass with a warning first, during the education phase. If a summons deems necessary, that will be on the warden’s discretion for first the offense. However, secondary offenses that can be proven will be a summonsable offense of Criminal Trespass, Title 17, Section 2806, a class E crime.

Signs have been ordered and will be posted once distributed.

NRA Lifetime Member

Southern Maine ATV Club

Make sure to spay or neuter your neighborhood Polaris Owners
whatwasithinkin
1000 Club Member
1000 Club Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly understandable why they have to do this. Some of the SxS machines are almost as large as a Jeep now as far as width and wheelbase is concerned.

I would bet dollars to donuts that there isn't a single one of us here or an any atv/sxs related forum that likes seeing a Jeep, Yota, Zuki or any other offroad street vehicle or trailer queen on our ATV trails tearing shit up. But even though a SxS does fit the atv/utv definition, some of them are just too big for New England woods trails. More so on the older narrow trails that were carved out many years before an atv with a roll cage was even on the radar. Machines now designed to be used in the vast expansions of the desert are still being sold here in New England where the closest desert is at least 2500 miles away.

And the dealers should own up to some of this also. I know that the manufactures force feed dealers inventory, but it seems to me that the dealers should let potential long travel, wide and long wheelbase $25k+ UTV customers know that they trail riding is going to be very limited for them. But a dealer would never be up front about that and lose a customer.

I imagine many other NE states will follow suit with this. NH is usually the first on board when it comes to taking something away from the atv community. And Vt. likes to protect what it has also. But that leaves Ma. RI and Ct. dealers to sell uneducated and unaware buyers these $20-25k machines even though those states have literally no trails what so ever. And telling the customer to head to NH or Maine. Puts them in for a nasty surprise.

What are the consequences of not following the width rule?
whatwasithinkin
1000 Club Member
1000 Club Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and just a matter of fact moment while its in my pea brain.....

Last year while I was at the highly reviled Mt. Washington Mt. Road ride, It blew my mind how many of the above mentioned 60"+ SxS's there were. I would venture a guess that while I was there, it had to me at least 3-4 60" machines to each single atv. And of those a high number of them were 4up machines.

As I left and headed south by @11am, there was a steady line of vehicles almost all the way into and through Conway hauling towards the event. Same I noticed, almost all SxS/UTV's with only the occasional atv.
moosehenden
200 Club Member
200 Club Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those machines are best used out West in the deserts. Plenty of wide open spaces. They don't even fit in places like the Paiute Trail where about 20% of the trails are 50" restricted. Marketing them for ME and NH where there are lots of places they can't go is ridiculous. Buyer beware.
Swampthing77
200 Club Member
200 Club Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced Reply with quote

maddog2020 wrote:
NEW – Starting This Year – 2017 - Trail Width Restriction will now be Enforced

New Signs will be put up on ATV trails for two landowners, CMP (Central Maine Power) and AFM (American Forest Management).

Beginning this year – “No Side-by-Sides wider than 60 inches”

This sign is the result of landowner concerns regarding the wider and bigger machines and some conflicts that have occurred. The licenses with these landowners have always been up to 60 inches wide and Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry (DACF) has advertised this on their maps since 2006. Since the industry keeps building them bigger, the landowners want the signs installed to remind people of the land owner’s wishes.

Regarding the enforcement of greater than 60-inch ATV’s on their property: Once posted properly at the entrances, and publicized through notifications to clubs, via departmental web pages, Facebook pages and press releases., the Maine Warden Service will document any violations as criminal trespass with a warning first, during the education phase. If a summons deems necessary, that will be on the warden’s discretion for first the offense. However, secondary offenses that can be proven will be a summonsable offense of Criminal Trespass, Title 17, Section 2806, a class E crime.

Signs have been ordered and will be posted once distributed.

That sucks I was thinking/looking at a mav x3 xmr 1000 64"...change of plans in order...
27" Kenda bearclaws HTR`s
2" wheel spacers
The Bomracing Tuner.
Bomracing 54mm Throttle body..
Npp dual dominators
TPS mods
RABID
Lifer
Lifer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maine is doing it because the choice is either to enforce the rule that the landowners want... or lose access to the land.
RABID
Lifer
Lifer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinkin wrote:
Oh and just a matter of fact moment while its in my pea brain.....

Last year while I was at the highly reviled Mt. Washington Mt. Road ride, It blew my mind how many of the above mentioned 60"+ SxS's there were. I would venture a guess that while I was there, it had to me at least 3-4 60" machines to each single atv. And of those a high number of them were 4up machines.

As I left and headed south by @11am, there was a steady line of vehicles almost all the way into and through Conway hauling towards the event. Same I noticed, almost all SxS/UTV's with only the occasional atv.
The family of four probably is looking to save some money - either with a machine that is cheaper than four machines; is less equipment to store, transport, and maintain; or is a single registration.

Polaris and Bombardier both predicted something along this line in 1998.
They made a public notice at the International Snowmobile Congress in Traverse City that their financial study showed that New Englanders were in serious shape on their financial stability, and that the ''Yamaha Garage'' concept would fall to the cheapest year-round format available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ATV Alliance Forum Index -> The New England Area All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: